Bagamoyo is a small Historical town, located 75km north of Dar es Salaam; and has much to enjoy. Bagamoyo was the starting point for the expeditions of Livingstone and others, and the first mission in East Africa, In the 18th and 19th century it was an important trade center for slaves and trade goods (Ivory or Copra which was won from coconut was used for production of soap) and later become the last stop before slaves were transported to Zanzibar.
Important features in Bagamoyo are:
1. The Kaole Ruins
These are located 5 km south of Bagamoyo, on the coastal side of the present day village of Kaole. It consists of the ruins of two mosques and a series of about 30 tombs, set among palm trees; some of the tombs have stone pillars of up to 5m in height.
These were built in the 3rd and 4th centuries and it is thought to mark one of the earliest contacts of Islam with Africa. Construction from coral with lime, water, there are faint traces of inscriptions on the vaulting
2. The Caravan Serai
A court yard which has a single building at front and square two-storey buildings. It was here that preparations were made for the fitting out of the caravans to the interiors. Similarly it was also the resting place for the caravan porters from interiors who nick named the town BWAGAMOYO- the place where one’s heart came to rest and relax after a long and tiring journey.
3. Old fort / Slave House 1860
Old fort, old provision house is the oldest surviving building in Bagamoyo, built in 1860. This was used by the Arabs and the German till 1870 and of late until 1992 was used as police post. Initially its function was to hold slave before being shipped to Zanzibar. It has an underground passage through which the slaves were herded to dhows on the shore.
4. Germany State House
The German Government colonial administration headquarters was the first capital town of German East Africa and the governor’s residence. It is an impressive two-storey building topped by crenellations, constructed in a U shape. They are pointed arches on the ground floor, also served as German administrative centre from 1897Germany Boma first State House and Governors residence
5. Livingstone Memorial Church
This is simple construction with a tin roof, curved arch windows and wooden benches (formerly named Anglican Church of the cross, referring to the fact it was built in memory of famous British explore and missionary Dr. David Livingstone, a century after his death.
6. The First Church
built in 1872 and it was here on 24th February 1874 that the porters brought the body of Dr. Livingstone, famous British explorer and missionary, after a journey of 1500kms from Ujiji-Tabora…Book now firstname.lastname@example.org
Call:+255 655 3939831 Watsapp